The following video (approximately two hours) guides new users through the Client data entry and referral sections of NACCRRAware. A list of quick search tips are also below.
Quick Search Tips
The following tips may be helpful when using the Quick Search feature in NACCRRAware:
- Providers marked Inactive and/or No Referrals will not come up in a Quick Search.
- All children added to the record will be listed and the default is to search for providers that can accommodate all children. To conduct separate searches (if, for example, the client has a toddler and a school-age child and needs different options), remove the check mark next to the child’s name to exclude from the current search.
- Location, Mailing, Address3 and Address4 can be used if the client’s addresses have been validated with the geocoding software and the providers have also been geocoded. To search based on a geocoded address(es), place a check mark next to Distance from selected address or addresses, then enter the distance to search in miles radius. (Note: this only appears if one of the client’s addresses has been geocoded.) Select the address(es) to search by placing check marks next to Location, Mailing, Address3 and/or Address4. If more than one address is selected, the results will include referrals matching each address. To have the results separated by address, separate searches will need to be run.
- Age of Child refers to the Age Care Needed field and will match the age the child will be when care is needed with the providers’ minimum and maximum ages served on the General screen.
- Total Vacancies searches for providers with at least one vacancy in the Total Vacancies field on the General screen. If the client needs care for 2 or more children, or the counselor wants to search for vacancies by age group, a custom search can be added (see last section below for details).
- City and Zip search only for the city and/or zip code entered in the client’s Location address field. If the client wants to search different or multiple cities/zips than where they live, a custom search can be added (see last section below for details).
- Extra Care Services uses the fields Drop In, 24-Hour, Before School, After School, Rotating, and Temp/Emergency in each child’s record. Matching providers will need to have all of the extra care services that each child has selected.
- County searches the county entered on the client’s General screen.
- No Previous Referrals removes any provider that has been saved to the Previous Referrals section of the client Referrals screen, regardless of the date saved.
- Quality Rating searches for providers with that rating or higher. For example, if the client indicates they would like referrals to providers with at least a level 3 quality rating, the results will include providers rated 3 or higher.
- Type of Care searches for any type of care marked for the child(ren). In other words, the search puts the OR separator between the types. All other multi-select fields are treated with AND separators between the values. For example, if multiple Elementary Schools are selected, only providers with ALL schools marked will match.
- Transportation matches any providers with at least one transportation option selected. For example, if the child has Transportation Provided and Walking Distance to School selected, providers with either option will match.
- To increase the number of matching providers, refer to the Quick Search Results: Search Statistics window for reasons why some providers failed to match. Select the Refine Search button and remove check marks next to the search criteria limiting the search results. Alternatively, create a Custom Report with the fields chosen in Quick Search and use it to locate the problem(s):
- Choose Custom Search - Provider and from the Field Selection screen choose the Standard Search Criteria fields used during the Quick Search.
- Click Next at the bottom of the screen.
- Build the query based on the client’s criteria.
- Click Custom Report at the bottom of the Query Builder screen.
- Choose the same fields as before and add the following fields: Provider ID, Total Vacancies, Status, Give Referrals, and Year Schedule. Remember to add the Give Referrals field as this is added automatically.
- Click Next and then Run Custom Report.
- The generated custom report can now be used to scan for reasons why a provider may not have come up in the Quick Search for this client.
- The options for Full/Part Time Care are Full-Time, Part-Time, and Both. If the client needs Full-Time, be sure to build the query to include Full-Time OR Both. Same for a client needing Part-Time – the query should ask for Part-Time OR Both.
- To create a personalized search, combine the quick search and custom search functions.
- Select the Find Provider button on the Child screen or click the Referrals link on the left menu.
- On the standard search criteria, select basic fields to include in the search such as Age of Child, Days of Week or Type of Care. At least one option from the standard list must be chosen.
- Once all standard fields are selected, select the Custom Search button below the list.
- Select the fields necessary to add additional search criteria to the standard search criteria (for example, Total Vacancies, City, Zip or Accreditation)
- To search for multiple cities or zips, do not select City or Zip from the Standard Search list. Instead, select City or Zip from the Custom Search Field Selection screen and build a query that will include the cities/zips from which the client wants referrals.
- Select the Add Query and Continue button. The search results will include providers that match the fields selected from the Standard Search Criteria list as well as those matching the Custom Search query. The Quick Search results will include the number of providers that did not match based on the Quick Search query.
- How many children can a client record have?
- What two ways can you save data or changes to a record?
- Why is it important to save an action in the Action Log?
- How do you add a new child to an existing client’s record?
- Name one way to initiate the Quick Search.
- Providers marked __________ or __________ are not included in the Quick Search results.
- True/False Providers listed in the Quick Search results are listed in order of their ID.
- True/False For families with multiple children, you can search for one child at a time using the Quick Search. (Bonus: How?)
- What should you do if the Quick Search results returns no matching providers?
- Describe one of the referral printouts.
- What two options do you have to send the referral printouts to clients?
(For sample answers to these questions, check out: NACCRAware 101: Review Question Answer Key)
- Search for the client record added previously.
- Add a new child.
- Do a Quick Search for the new child only.
Other parts of this tutorial: