Navigation and Provider Data Entry
1. How do you navigate through the NACCRRAwarescreens? Specifically, what should you avoid doing?
A: Navigate using the links on the screens. For data entry this will include the Save buttons at the bottom of each screen, the navigation links (which also save information) on the left side of each screen, and the shift links at the top of the provider Shifts screen. Users can also use the main menu across the top although any changes made to the data entry screen will be lost unless saved first. Users should avoid using the toolbar’s Back and Forward buttons in NACCRRAware.
2. Where can you find the Version number?
A: In the footer, on the right hand side and in the upper left side of the login screen.
3. Where can you find the hours for the Help Desk?
A: In the Tech Support help screen.
4. Where can you read the Release Notes?
A: The link that opens the Release Notes can be found in the footer, on the right hand side under version number.
5. Where can you find your agency ID?
A: On the right side of the logo bar at the top of each screen.
6. Where can you get help?
A: Help for NACCRRAware can be found in the help screens that are linked on each screen in the red title bar at the top. Users can also access the help screens from the main menu. Additional help may be found on the NACCRRAware Bulletin Board, the link for which can be found on the Tech Support help screen. Users can also contact the Help Desk for help with using NACCRRAware.
7. Where can you find your security level?
A: On the right side of the logo bar at the top of each screen.
8. What should you do when you’re finished with NACCRRAware?
A: Best practice recommendation is to click Logout from the main menu, then close the login screen window.
9. How many shifts/sessions can a provider record have?
A: A provider can have 1-4 shifts in their record.
10. How do you select more than one Elementary School?
A: Hold down the Ctrl or Shift key on your keyboard as you click each school name. After saving the General screen and returning to it, the selected school name(s) will be moved to the top of the list. Another field with this same attribute is the Race field on the family child care Specifics screen.
11. How do you enter the days/hours care is available?
A: Easiest way is to select the first day care is offered, enter start and end times, then select the other days care is available. Start and end times will be copied into each of those days but can be modified if needed.
Times can be entered in a variety of formats which all convert to a standard format when the shift screen is saved. 6:00 AM is the standard format for providers who open at six in the morning. This time can be entered as 6:00 AM, 6:00 am, 6:00 a, 6:00 A, 6:00, 6 a, 6 A, 6, or 0600.
12. Give an example of a drop down field. How many values can be selected from the drop down list?
A: Type of Care is the first drop down field in a provider record. Users can access the list of values by clicking the blue square with the downward pointing triangle. Users can select only one value from this list.
13. How do you leave a record without saving changes made to it?
A: To save data users need to click Save at the bottom or use one of the navigation links (screen names) on the left. To leave a record without saving changes, click on something in the main menu (the Home button, for example).
14. What is the Specifics screen for? What determines which Specifics screen the provider will have?
A: The Specifics screen is used to track data that only applies to specific provider types. There are 2 specifics screens available for each provider: Center Specifics and Family Child Care Specifics. The center specifics screen is added to all center-based provider types (Child Care Center, Preschool Program, School Age Program, and any locally configured center-based program). The family child care specifics screen is added to all family-based provider types (Family Child Care and any locally configured family-based providers). Type of Care determines which specifics screen the provider has.
15. How do you delete a provider’s record?
A: Users must have one of the top 2 security levels to delete records or part of records: “Create, Modify, Reports and Delete” or “Administrator”. After logging in with the appropriate security level, open the provider’s record, scroll down to the bottom of the General screen and click the “Delete Provider” button.
Add a new Preschool Program, filling in as much information as possible. Before you get to it, which Specifics screen should you expect to see?
A: Center-based specifics screen
Client Data Entry, Quick Search & Referral Printouts
1. How many children can a client record have?
A: There is no limit on the number of children in a client record.
2. What two ways can you save data or changes to a record?
A: Select the Save button on the screen or select another screen on the left menu.
3. Why is it important to save an action in the Action Log?
A: The Action Log tracks the "history" of the client-R&R relationship, especially any updates to the NACCRRAware record for that client. The Action Log is an important data collection tool for statistical purposes since it is used to track the number of contacts and types of services provided to clients by the R&R agency.
4. How do you add a new child to an existing client’s record?
A: By default, NACCRRAwareadds one child record to the client record. The first child’s information can be added as soon as the General screen is saved in a client record. To add additional children, click on the “Add Child” button on the child’s screen.
5. Name one way to initiate the Quick Search.
A: Select the “Find Providers” button on the child screen. Another way is to select the Referrals link on the left menu in a client record.
6. Providers marked __________ or __________ are not included in the Quick Search results.
A:No Referrals or Inactive.
7. True/False Providers listed in the Quick Search results are listed in order of their ID.
A: False. Providers are listed in random order on the Quick Search results.
8. True/False For families with multiple children, you can search for one child at a time using the Quick Search. (Bonus: How?)
A: True. By default, all children are selected for the search and each has a check mark next to their name. Unselect the child(ren) you do not want included in the search by clicking in the box next to their name to remove the check.
9. What should you do if the Quick Search results returns no matching providers?
A: Examine the results to determine which search criteria limited the number of search results. Select “Refine Search” on the search results screen and remove one or more of the search criteria to increase the search results.
10. Describe one of the referral printouts.
A: Provider Summary, Provider Profile and Custom Report are the three options for referral printouts.
- Provider Summary: a basic listing of information about the providers referred to a client; two or more providers per page may be printed, depending upon the fields selected for the printout.
- Provider Profile: more detailed listings of information about the providers referred, and are generally printed one provider to a page.
- Custom Report: a custom report can be developed by selecting this option and selecting the fields desired for the printout.
11. What two options do you have to send the referral printouts to clients?
A: Click “Print Referrals” and print a hard copy of the referral printout selecting the Print icon or File > Print. This can be mailed or faxed to the client. The referrals can also be emailed to the client by clicking “Email Referrals”. Email Referrals requires that the client’s email address has been entered on the General screen, that the user’s email address has been entered on the Administration > User > User Details screen, and the agency’s email address has been entered on the Administration > Agency screen.
- Search for the client record added previously.
- Add a new child.
- Do a Quick Search for the new child only.
Custom Search and Custom Reports
1. What records are automatically excluded from the custom search results?
A: Inactive and pending records
2. How are the records sorted in the custom search results?
A: By the Unique ID
3. When do you add parentheses to a query?
A: When the “AND” and “OR” separators are used in the same query. Usually the parentheses are placed around the entire “OR” statement. Example: Accreditation Equal To “NAEYC” AND (Zip Equal to “74354” OR Zip Equal to “74355” OR Zip Equal to “74356”)
4. How do you add a field to the query builder?
A: Select the field on the Select Fields screen of the Custom Search. If you are on the query builder screen and need to add another field to the query, use the NACCRRAware “Back” button below the query builder box to return to the Select Fields screen.
5. Name one way you can edit the search query.
A: Place cursor in the query builder box where edit is desired and type in the new information. The entire query can be cleared using the “Clear” button below the query builder box.
6. What happens if you forget to change the separator to Done when adding the last query field?
A: The query will still work but it is best practice to always change the separator to Done. By changing the separator to Done, you eliminate a dangling AND or OR at the end of the query.
7. What may prevent the results window from opening up?
A: Pop-up blockers may be installed on your computer which prevents the pop-up windows in the NACCRRAware program from showing up.
8. Where can you find saved searches?
A: Saved custom searches may be found at the top of the Fields Select screen in the dropdown box beside “View an Existing Search”. Select the custom search name from the dropdown box and then select “Retrieve Search”.
9. Name one way to access the custom report field selection screen to begin building a custom report.
A: Select “Custom Report” from the bottom of the Query Builder screen, or after the query has run click “Build Custom Report” from the Report Results screen.
10. How do you build a custom report that includes ALL clients or providers?
A: Do not select any search criteria on the Fields Select screen, just scroll down and click “Next”. Then click “Custom Report” from the Query Builder screen. By leaving the query box blank, all active records are included since there was no query to filter them.
11. How many ways can you sort the records in a custom report?
A: Three (3)
12. What type of file can you create with the report results?
A: Create File or Create Multiple Files creates text delimited files. These files may be used to share data with another organization, import it into another software program for further manipulation and analysis, or archive it for future analysis if needed.
You can also save the results as an Excel, a CSV, or a PDF file.
Please remember that these are the configurations in the NACCRRAware training database. The configurations for certain fields may vary by field name and value for some of these queries in your agency’s database.
- Search for clients added to the database this month.
Client Date Added Greater or Equal "8/1/2012" AND Client Date Added Less or Equal "8/31/2012"
- Search for family child care providers who are CPR certified.
Type Of Care Equal To "Family Child Care" AND Safety Equal To "CPR Current Within 2 Yrs"
- Search for clients needing care for an infant (defined as a child under1 year of age) in a smoke free and no pet environment
Age Care Needed Less Than "1yrs mos wks" AND Environment Equal To "Smoke Free" AND Environment Equal To "No Pets"
- Search for center based programs which accept 6 year old children and offer an afternoon snack for $75/week (full time) or less.
(Type Of Care Equal To "Child Care Center" OR Type Of Care Equal To "Preschool Program" OR Type Of Care Equal To "School Age Program") AND Maximum Age Range Greater or Equal "6yrs mos wks" AND Rate Age group Equal To "6 years and older" AND Full Time Weekly Rate Less or Equal "75" AND Meals Equal To "Afternoon Snack"